Saturday, June 27, 2009

Welcome Home

"...'I will bring them home again,' says the LORD." Hosea 11:11

Every Tuesday I find myself sitting in a music studio for an hour while my son has his piano lesson. Half of the hour his teacher devotes to written theory instruction and the remainder of the time is spent at the piano preparing for his practical exam. Although I could just drop him off and use the time to run errands, I have come to look forward to this hour each week. I write letters, read, prepare for Bible study and basically enjoy an uninterupted hour on my own.

Recently as I was listening to his teacher as she reinforced some Analysis and Counterpoint rules, I heard her give the following advice: "If at all possible, always come home." Now, she was referring to writing music and ending a composition in the tonic or 'home' key, but her direction spoke deeply to my heart.

God is calling us all to 'come home'. To come home to peace. To come home to rest. To come home to forgiveness. To come home to hope. To come home to acceptance. To come home to freedom. To come home to love. Being a wilderness wanderer at times myself, I'm so thankful that God always has the welcome mat out, the door open and the porchlight on.

Not only is there a welcome, but God Himself is waiting and watching for us. He doesn't scold us for leaving. He doesn't list all the "I told you so's". He doesn't gloat over the failure that could have prompted our return. He doesn't lay a guilt-trip on us or list our faults. He gives us a shoulder to cry on. His arms of love encircle us. He smiles and holds us tight. He knows where we've been, but at this moment, that doesn't matter. What thills His heart is where we are right now. We've made a decision to come home.

Do you need to come home today? He's looking with longing for you. If the journey seems too far, the distance too great, remember, the first step is always the hardest. Recall the story of the prodigal son in Luke 15. It says in verse 20, "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him". This is the only time in the entire Word of God when the Lord is described as running. Let that grip your heart. Do you understand what makes God run? A child coming home.

God is the same yesterday, today and forever. He is still running towards anyone who turns their heart toward home. It doesn't matter what forces your return. I heard once that it wasn't pangs of conscience that sent the prodigal son home, but pangs of hunger. The prodigal son didn't go home until his desperation was greater than his pride. God will use whatever it takes to bring someone back home, even if it is just to satisfy your own personal needs. Take that first step and you'll find you are home. Zephaniah 3:20 says, "At that time I will bring you home". Let God be your dwelling place today in whatever situation you are facing. Don't just call home....come home.



post signature

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Great post! "Don't just call home, come home." Love this quote!

Great reminder.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the insights from sitting in the music studio. I love how God gives us just what we need to hear or see no matter what the time or source or situation. I have been pondering Psalm 91 as well as studying the names of God and His character. As I learn better Who He is, I can feel secure in coming home to the peace, the rest, the love, and all of the others you listed! Psalm 91 begins with dwelling in the shelter of the Most High, abiding in the shadow of the Almighty. The arms of God are truly a welcoming homecoming.
Thanks, ~ linda

~Grace and Peace said...

Thank you for your insightful posts, Joy. They really make me think. I thank God for leading me to your blog.