Thursday, June 25, 2009

Desperate Housewife

"Then she will think, 'I might as well return to my husband, for I was better off with him than I am now.'" Hosea 2:7

Choosing the lesser of two evils, as the saying goes. Resigning oneself to a decision based on comparison and desperation. A hopeless situation forces a choice to be made. Neither option is desirable, but one might just seem a little more favourable.

My Mom stood at that crossroad yesterday. Tired and exhausted after learning that Dad was turned away from yet another long term care facility, and feeling that she could not expect her three daughters to continue the daily visits and travel to visit Dad, Mom made a decision. A decision that shocked me completely when I received word of what is to come. My Mom is bringing my Dad home.

This decision from a lady who only days ago was crying on the phone with me, saying she could never bring Dad home. She was feeling pressure from others to remove Dad from the hospital and she was distraught and overwhelmed. Now this announcement. My head is spinning.

Being out of town for a few days right now with my husband and son, it wasn't until later last night I had opportunity to reach Mom on the phone and speak with her. I believe she has made a decision fraught with urgency. With the summer upon us and my sisters and I planning holidays with our families, I feel Mom has acted in haste, thinking the only possible solution for her to continue to see Dad daily is to bring him home. A decision made out of desperate need.

Do you ever turn to God out of an extreme need or hopelessness? God will accept you regardless of the way you come, but how the longs for us to seek Him out of thankfulness and love. He isn't the better choice of two options. He is always the best choice.

Friends when you read this, will you pray for my Mom and our family?

I want to join with Isaiah and be able to say,
"I will trust in him and not be afraid.
The LORD GOD is my strength and my song;
he has given me victory."
"Sing to the LORD, for he has done wonderful things." Is.12:2,5

Father, how I pray this will turn out to be not just a wonderful thing, but God's desire for our family.



post signature

2 comments:

RefreshMom said...

I'll absolutely be praying for your family Joy. There's so many other things I want to say, but the words aren't coming out right. So I'll add another prayer for strength and support for you as you are the strength and support for your mom and dad.

~Grace and Peace said...

This is a huge step. Praying for courage and wisdom and strength. Most of all for the peace that passes all understanding.