Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Yes, You!

“I am teaching you today - yes, you - so you will trust in the LORD.” Proverbs 22:19

Do you remember this childhood clapping rhyme?

“Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?
Joy stole the cookie from the cookie jar.
Who, me? Yes, you!
Couldn’t be! Then who?"…etc…

“Yes, you” here was accompanied with a tone of accusation. Sometimes it’s repetition was just for clarification. Often times it’s used to confirm recognition. Whatever it’s purpose a ‘yes, you’ is personal and the recipient becomes the center of attention.

I hate being the center of attention. I’m a back row girl all the way. I avoid being up front as much as possible and I despise all eyes being fixed on me. I embarrass easily and turn a lovely shade of red. I don’t enjoy being the object of everyone’s focus.

This morning I felt God’s eyes on me as I read the above verse. I mean, I KNOW he’s always watching me, but this was an intent concentration. As I looked around trying to squirm my way out of this lesson, hoping His finger was pointing past me to some other student of His Word, His voice spoke loud and clear…Joy, I am teaching you today - yes, you - so you will trust in Me.”

Who, me?

Yes, you!

Being singled out for instruction is a little intimidating, but also exciting.

Lord, what is it? What do you want me to learn today? Give me ears to hear and eyes to see. Help me sit up taller and be attentive to Your Word and world today. What teaching needs to be imparted? What subject needs upgrading and refining? Where have I neglected application? Please Lord, don’t let me miss the truth You desire to write across my heart today. It’s for the purpose of trust. Definitely an area that always needs stretching.

Lord, with eager anticipation I look to You, - yes, You!





post signature

3 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Well, no. I don't know that game, but sounds like great fun...

Yes, I know you're a back row kind of girl; I remember. Unfortunately, I too often like the stage and need a "no, not you" kind of moment from time to time, which really is "yes, you" all on its own.

Whew, now I'm confused. Yes, me.

Love you friend!

peace~elaine
PS: You always seems to find such a good nugget from these daily readings. Keep to it.

Laura said...

I love this, Joy. We used to sing that song in Kindermusik with both our boys. They loved it.

I'm a back row girl too, Joy--but I've always called it "back-door"!

He does call us out sometimes, doesn't He?

Unreasonable Grace said...

What a visual you painted! - "As I looked around trying to squirm my way out of this lesson, hoping His finger was pointing past me..."
I had to laugh at the mental picture in my head. I can certainly relate!