Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Channels Only

“But can the ax boast greater power than the person who uses it? Is the saw greater than the person who saws? Can a rod strike unless a hand moves it? Can a wooden cane walk by itself?” Isaiah 10:15

My husband is into tools. He has a large, well equipped workshop in the basement of our home. Router, table saw, lathe, drill press, planer, joiner, compound mitre saw etc… Oh, I can hear Tim Taylor from “Home Improvement” grunting already. Each piece of equipment is designed for a specific purpose. Each is unique and valuable, yet accomplishes nothing unless placed in the hands of a skilled workman.

“No instrument or tool accomplishes its purposes without a greater power.” “When a tool boasts of greater power than the one who uses it, it is in danger of being discarded.”

This is true of us, as God’s instruments as well. “We are useful only to the extent that we allow God to use us. If God has given us resources and special talents, we must not regard them as our own creation or special privilege.” (Life Application Study Bible, NLT.)

Father, it’s not the I, but the You in me.

“Every good thing I have done, everything that I’ve become
Everything that’s turned out right is because You’re in my life.”
(1995 David Mullen, Da’dra Crawford, Steve Crawford, Mary Tiller; Word Music/ASCAP)

How has God gifted you? Are you using those abilities for and with Him? It is my desire to remain a channel only. Do you remember that old hymn?

“Channels only, blessed Master
But with all Thy wondrous power
Flowing through us, Thou cants use us
Every day and every hour”



post signature

2 comments:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Good thoughts! I also love another old hymn that you probably know called "Channel of Blessings".

The chorus says, "Make me a channel of blessing today. Make me a channel of blessing I pray. My life possessing. My service blessing. Make me a channel of blessing today."

God bless you Joy!

Marilyn

Genny said...

I pray that my writing would touch others in whatever way God wants it to. Thanks for this great post, Joy!