Saturday, June 20, 2009

Much More

"The LORD is able to give you much more than this!" 2 Chronicles 25:9

How small my request at times. How great my God.

Moments ago as I opened His Word, I was praying for just one truth to capture my heart. Lord, just one, that's all I asked. In His bounty, He has drenched me this morning, and it's been both a cold awakening and a refreshing soaking.

King Amaziah did what was pleasing in the LORD's sight, but not wholeheartedly. How often my outward is a false reflection. Doing without being. Action without attitude. A reminder of God seeing my intent and motives.

In Uzziah's climb up the ladder of power to pride, I have seen my own lofty view and prayed again for humility. Lord, when opportunities come my way and position is granted at Your hand, keep me from the sin of becoming arrogant. I am so undeserving. When the battle for recognition rages, let meekness mark my life and may You alone receive the glory.

Jonah's deliberate walk in the opposite direction. God had commanded Him to "get up", (vs2) but Jonah went "down" (vs3). Without speaking a word, he intentionally disobeyed and demonstrated a judgemental heart. Father, keep me from taking a path in direct opposition to Your way for me, because in doing so I lose sight of You. With my back turned in willful resistance it's impossible to see You face-to-face. Keep my eyes fixed on You and my heart surrendered.

As thunder rolls I have seen "O LORD, you have sent this storm upon (me) for your own good reasons," Jonah 1:14. Yes, I am learning that storms have purpose and discovering that my anchor holds. Without the storm, the anchor is never tested. My faith is standing. Praise the Lord.

God's mercy and forgiveness brought me to tears, as in His unfailing love, He was eager to turn back from destroying the rebellious people of Nineveh. I was reminded of 2 Samuel 14:14 that says, "God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him."

Oh Father, thank You for the "much more" you have lavished on me. How small my hopes this morning, yet how great my need.

Lord may You lavish each seeking heart today with the bounty of Your Word.



post signature

No comments: