Friday, June 5, 2009

Head or Heart?

“The LORD had clearly instructed the people of Israel, ‘You must not marry them, because they will turn your hearts to their gods.’ Yet Solomon insisted on loving them anyway.” “He had warned Solomon specifically about worshiping other gods, but Solomon did not listen to the LORD’s command.” 1 Kings 11:2,10

I read here about specific, personal teaching ignored. Solomon refused to apply God’s warning. He disregarded God’s instruction and faithlessly disobeyed God’s command. He held fast to sin, insisted on his own way and recklessly abandoned the clear directive from God. For all the wisdom Solomon possessed, he still chose to act foolishly. It wasn’t that he didn’t know what God required; he made a conscious decision not to obey. Head knowledge alone is not enough. God is looking for a heart change.

I remember a very dear friend saying to me years ago, “Joy, you do not need to read any more books!” Her message to me was clear. My head was packed full of learning, but where was my living? How had all this knowledge changed my life? Quite truthfully, it hadn’t. I was still a fearful, insecure, people-pleaser.

If all we are doing is amassing facts, the accumulation without the application is useless. We can be zealous and diligent to our daily time in God’s Word and be praised for our commitment and dedication, but without the obedience accompanying our learning, quite frankly, it‘s all for naught. Change must be evident. Every morning as I leave my quiet time and move into the rest of my day, I need to ask myself, how is today going to be different than yesterday because of my time with the Lord?

More than knowledge, God desires knowing Him.
More than research, God desires response.
More than hearing His Word, God desires heeding His Word.
More than gathering facts, God desires growing faith.
More than religion, God desires relationship.
More than intellect, God desires intimacy.
More than study, God desires surrender.
More than learning, God desires living.

I long to allow His Word in me to make a difference today.



post signature

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Amen. Wonderful post!!!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I want to be truly transformed by the power of God's Word. Like Solomon, I have known some seasons of willful and deliberate sin; it cost me dearly. Like David, I've known some seasons of repentance and grace that have led me to live better with a rooted understanding that simply reading the Word isn't enough.

Living the Word is everything. How I pray to live it like I mean it.

Love you friend. Blessed rest to you this weekend~elaine

Unreasonable Grace said...

Wow.
I need to print out that last few lines and post it on my desk so it's the first thing I read every morning. Put's things in the right perspective.
Really, really good post, Joy.
kim

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen. Powerfully poignant, Joy! I needed to hear and read this as I have my head in books so very much and only apply what I learn SOMETIMES! Lately more often, but still am nudged by the Holy Spirit to apply the Word more consistently!
Like Kim, I plan to copy the ending lines of your post as well. They say so much.
Thank you, ~ linda

Anonymous said...

Great post!