Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"I Can't Hear You"

"'No,' he said, 'I will not test the LORD like that.'" Isaiah 7:12

At first glance this appears to be a righteous answer by King Ahaz, not putting the Lord Thy God to a test, but it comes in response to the Lord telling him to ask for a sign of confirmation. I think King Ahaz didn't really want to know what God had to say. He was justifying and excusing his behavior, because in reality he didn't want to talk to God, hear what He had to say and be put in a position of making a decision to obey. It's easier not to know what God desires, than to know and be held accountable and responsible.

Wondering...are there times when I do that too? Times I really don't want to listen to what God has to say to me because He might upset my schedule, convict me, or call for a deeper following that is way outside my comfort zone? Are there times I purposely refuse to ask for direction or seek His will because my heart has not come to that place of surrender to whatever He will ask of me. Like a little child, I place my fingers in my ears, start singing loudly and repeat, "I can't hear You."

Father, may my own excuses never keep me from hearing and obeying You.



post signature

2 comments:

Genny said...

Every single time I stop by, I learn something. Thank you! I don't want to have my fingers in my ears, but, I admit, sometimes I do... Thanks for the reminder to listen.

By the way, I'm starting something new at my blog and I'd really love for you to join in. :)

TRUTH SHARER said...

What a simple - yet profound post.... and great insight of the Scripture. Thanks for sharing your heart and your JOY!

Choosing JOY, Stephanie
[JESUS - the One I Worship]