Friday, June 19, 2009

A Repentant Heart and a Listening God

"Then Jehoahaz prayed for the LORD's help, and the LORD heard his prayer..." 2 Kings 13:4

We read in 2 Kings that Jehoahaz reigned in Samaria for 17 years, but he did what was evil in the LORD's sight. Imagine, living without the Lord for 17 years...in fact not only living without Him, but blatantly rebelling, and then after all that time turning and praying for help "and the LORD heard his prayer."

That amazes me. I think of those who maybe "ignore" me for one reason or another, or have hurt me in the past. Would I be so quick to run to listen and offer help should they suddenly call on me? Would my reaction be so filled with grace and forgiveness? Would I even want to listen?

Reminds me of the thief on the cross. He didn't live one day as a Christ-follower, yet he received immediate forgiveness as Jesus said, "today you will be with Me in glory".

God always listens to the repentant heart turning towards home. So thankful for the times my own wayward heart has found forgiveness at God's unending mercy.



post signature

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Me too; how well I remember a season in my own life of blatant disregard for the cross of Calvary. Thank God for his love and grace that covers my deliberate sin. Thank God I now choose better.

peace~elaine