Saturday, July 20, 2024

Truth-Teller

"Have I now become your enemy because I am telling you the truth?" Galatians 4:16

post signature

It is often not easy being a truth-teller. Many don't want to hear truth, whether it's the truth of the speed limit as they drive faster than the law assigns or the truth that with aging comes the reality that our time on earth is shortening. Many want to deny the actuality of every day truths, but what about the truth found in God's Word?

A friend was sharing with me recently how her relative basically wants to believe truth without speaking truth. This family member believes faith is private and does not need to be talked about. She shared how others respect her because she isn't "preachy" but lives faith quietly. I'm not denying the excellence of a godly life on display, but this relative went on to say, that because others are "turned off by the mention of God or Jesus", she just chooses not to talk about Him. I wonder what she does with the verse, "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (Romans 10:17)?

If truth-tellers don't tell, then who? Like a fire alarm going off in a house, a truth-teller warns of danger, but like in many homes when the alarm sounds, instead of paying attention to possible peril, a battery is removed to silence the noise and the warning is disregarded.

Speaking truth in love is hard, but it is so needed. As I reflect back over my own life, I know I've done both. At times I have neglected the Spirit's prompting to speak truth, and "removed the battery", praying that the one who needs to hear truth will be personally convicted so that I don't have to say anything. That is the easy way out...for us...but it can backfire. I remember a time I withheld truth and afterward a precious friend came sobbing to me asking, "Why didn't you tell me? I just didn't know." She was deeply grieved by choices she had made as a new believer and she hadn't understood God's word pertaining to her actions. She just needed guidance. Her conviction and repentance followed her understanding.

Other times we can share truth repeatedly and it isn't received, even by another Christ-follower. The recipient of the correction may agree and acknowledge the scripture you share, but not enough to accept and apply. Like the rich ruler I'm sure they must go away sad, sensing the pull in their heart to walk in obedience to the Lord. Content with their choices, they cover their sin while at the same time knowing they need to change. They are deceiving themselves.

When the Spirit of God prompts us to share truth, we need to do so prayerfully and with love. If we have too much delight in pointing out error, our intentions are desperately wrong. As it pained Paul to write words of correction, our hearts too should be very tender to the role we play as truth-teller. Excitement to show someone the err of their ways arises from a pursuit, not to "correct in love", but to "be correct". Motive must stem from a heart that desires to see others walking in truth.

The outcome of these encounters has no guarantees. Hopefully truth will be received and embraced, but truth-tellers aren't popular, and they weren't in Jesus' day either. May the dear one hearing the truth only see Christ in our heeding.

No comments: