Monday, March 30, 2009

Consider the Source

My family enjoys watching "Little House on the Prairie". In the episode we watched this evening, Laura and Almonzo had a major misunderstanding. Judgements were made on perceptions that weren't true. Words were taken out of context. Arguments escalated. Relationships were severed.

It reminded me of my reading this morning. "The rest of Israel heard that the people of Reuben, Gad, and the half-tribe of Manasseh had built an altar...so the whole community of Israel gathered at Shiloh and prepared to go to war against them."

They "heard". How often do we react based on things heard? We catch part of a conversation, or misinterpret things said and the next thing we know our blood is boiling.

We need to learn from how the Israelites respond. Joshua 22:13 says, "First, however, they sent a delegation led by Phinehas son of Eleazar, the priest, to talk with the tribes of Reuben, Gad, and the half-tribe of Manasseh."

Although what the rest of Israel 'heard' disturbed and angered them, they didn't just presume or jump to irrational conclusions, they did the right thing. They sent a representative to the people of Reuben, Gad and Manasseh for an explaination.

Wondering how often I base my decisions on what I 'see' or 'hear' instead of what I truly 'know'. May it be a lesson to me to examine all the truth, and not make a judgement in haste.



post signature

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I'm a quick leaper, Joy, onto things I "hear." My husband is much better about not jumping to conclusions. You wouldn't believe how stupid I've been, but then again, maybe you would.

Glad that dad's not having surgery tomorrow. Keep me posted.

peace~elaine