Monday, March 9, 2009

To Vow or Not To Vow

"It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it." (Ecclesiastics 5:5 NIV)

I don't know how many of you are familiar with a children's book entitled, "A Promise is a Promise" by Robert Munsch. Although I must admit to forgetting the storyline, the truth of the title and that catchy phrase has remained with me. A promise is a promise.

Today in Numbers I read of the laws concerning vows. My heart was convicted. I have made an impulsive pledge in the past. My heart was sincere at the time. I had every intent to fulfill my vow, but schedules, demands, and circumstances crowd and squeeze my intent until it lays abandoned.

This morning my heart breaks. I fall before the Lord, knowing my disobedience has disappointed. Father, I am so sorry for the times I fail You. Please see the love within my heart and the desire to follow closely. Humbly I seek Your forgiveness. You have kept every promise You have ever made to me. May I sincerely count the cost before a vow is made and be careful no words are idle promises.

"For no matter how many promises God has made, they are 'Yes' in Christ."
2 Corinthians 1:20



post signature

3 comments:

Chef Diane said...

Praying for you Joy,
Hugs,
Diane

On Purpose said...

Joy God doesn't want something you can't give...a promise...He wants your heart...and He's got that!

Joy in The Truth said...

I love your heart Joy. Thanks for sharing so honestly. Praying He leads you perfectly concerning this pledge.

Hugs,
Sharon