Monday, June 10, 2024

Convenient or Costly?

"But the king replied to Araunah, 'No, I insist on buying it, for I will not present burnt offerings to the LORD my God that have cost me nothing.'" 2 Samuel 24:24a

David sins by taking a census that results in a plague upon Israel that lasted three days, killing 70,000 people. When the LORD relents and ends the affliction, David approaches the owner of the threshing floor where the death angel appeared at the moment God ceased the destruction. David desires to purchase the place and build an altar to the LORD, but Araunah, the owner, wants to give it to the king. David refuses to receive it as a gift, insistent that he will pay the price for the land, oxen and all that is required for the sacrificial offerings. He says, "I will not present burnt offerings to the LORD my God that have cost me nothing."

You see, the meaning of "sacrifice" implies that something is given up or surrendered. It's yielding to another what is personally important or valuable. David recognized that if his actions didn't impact him at all, the offering would be unworthy.

I've often thought about this verse in relation to what I present before the Lord. Whether it be my time, finances, other gifts and resources, do I give to the level where I feel and experience the cost, or is what I'm offering to the Lord from a place of abundance? Do I genuinely feel a pinch in the price I'm paying? Is what I am presenting before the Lord convenient or is it costly?

And, please don't misunderstand. This isn't simply giving in abundance as an act of manipulation to get something in return. The prophet Amos reminds us that God only accepts sacrifices as responses of obedience. A sacrifice is only worthy when it is a gesture of authentic worship.

Consider with me for a moment accomplishments you've achieved in life. I think I can guarantee that unless you fell into an unexpected inheritance, each has come through "blood, sweat and tears". Easy never concludes with the same victory and celebration as efforts that have been filled with hard work, late nights, struggle, pain, uncertainties, complete dependence on God and countless hours of prayer. It's in paying the price, persevering through the pain, pressing on in prayer, where our hearts are exposed and we see what we treasure most. The rich young ruler in Mark 10, when faced with the opportunity to sell all of his possessions and give the money to the poor, walked away sad, choosing his personal wealth over the riches of eternity. It is sobering to consider what our truthful response would be if faced with a similar question this very moment. Maybe instead I should ask, "Is Christ worth your everything?" As Jim Elliott so wisely said, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

I loved a side note that Will Graham wrote regarding this transaction: "It's interesting to note that this land would later become the site of Solomon's Temple (2 Chronicles 3:1). Though David did not build nor see the Temple, he acquired the land on which the next generation would build. This is an important truth for us to remember. When we sacrifice for the Kingdom of God, we are laying a foundation for the next generation to continue to worship and grow in the faith, while also imparting to them the importance of the principle of sacrifice."

In what areas is God calling you to take steps of sacrifice for His glory? "The things of this world are temporary, but true sacrifice is eternal. May we honour the Lord and serve Christ, while leaving a godly legacy of obedience to the next generation."

"Jesus paid it all, All to Him I owe; Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow."


Quotes: Will Graham, "A Sacrifice That Costs Nothing is Worth Nothing", April 2, 2024, billygraham.org/story/will-graham-devotion-a-sacrifice-that-costs-nothing-is-worth-nothing/ 

Hymn Lyrics: "Jesus Paid It All"; Elvina Hall; copyright 1865

No comments: