Saturday, June 8, 2024

The Shimei in Us All

"Shimei son of Gera, the man from Bahurim in Benjamin, hurried across with the men of Judah to welcome King David." 2 Samuel 19:16

The above verse stopped me as I read this morning. Wait, is this the same Shimei who I wrote about yesterday? Is this the man who was using the king for target practice of both insults and stones? Is it true that he has come to welcome David home? Has he sincerely gone from keeping pace in cruelty to making peace through confession? Yes!

"As the king was about to cross the river, Shimei fell down before him. 'My lord the king, please forgive me,' he pleaded. 'Forget the terrible thing your servant did when you left Jerusalem. May the king put it out of his mind. I know how much I sinned. That is why I have come here today, the very first person in all Israel to greet my lord the king." (2 Samuel 19:18b-20)

As I read Shimei's repentance and desire for forgiveness, tears filled my eyes. I think of times when I have been "Shimei". Standing in a place of acknowledging my sin and longing for mercy. I felt his genuine desire for restoration after recognizing his sin. I too so often fall before my King, Lord and Saviour, admitting my transgression and crying out for pardon, even though I'm so undeserving. Like David who spared Shimei's life, God spares mine time and time again.

Pondering this encounter between David and Shimei has also given me so much hope! Just a couple of days ago a friend was sharing with me about her brother. His middle name could be "Shimei". He has relentlessly caused heartache and dissension within their family. All are weary and fearful of his angry outbursts and controlling nature. Every contact becomes a confrontation. His actions are so evil and abusive that the entire family try to avoid him, setting up boundaries to protect themselves. His reactions to every situation have the potential for harm. My friend questioned why the Lord allows him to go on.

I believe the answer is found in today's reading. The parallel is astonishing to me. This man, the enemy who pursued David with such unyielding resolve, is now bowing before the king begging, not just for lenience, but to be excused and his actions forgotten. He has come to a place of owning his deeds and admitting his behaviour. In response, David not only extends grace and mercy to his offender, but speaks words of defense to others who desire to see him die. It's so remarkable. No wonder David is described as being a man after God's own heart. 

This is what the Lord does for us continually. Jesus is our Defender. He stands before His Father as our Advocate, pleading our case so the verdict is favourable. When we fall on our knees before the Lord, unworthy of forgiveness, He says His blood has covered our sin. Like David, God spares our life, not just here on earth, but for all eternity. 

Not only could my friend's brother be called "Shimei", we all at times have carried his name. We all fail. We have all spoken unkindly, thrown accusations and hurt others. What glorious grace has met our repentance. A turnaround can happen at any time, and that's the reason the Lord allows the "Shimei's" within and around us to go on. And so we pray. We pray that God will touch our hearts, and theirs, so sin is exposed, drawing us to plead for forgiveness and receive pardon. We also need to learn to be Christlike in our response to those who seek forgiveness from us. Regardless of the pain they have inflicted in the past, when true confession kneels before us, we must forgive as God forgives. Praise the Lord that He forgives the "Shimei" in us all!

post signature

No comments: