Friday, June 21, 2024

The Voice of Truth

"But the old prophet answered, 'I am a prophet, too, just as you are. And an angel gave me this command from the LORD: 'Bring him home with you so he can have something to eat and drink.'" But the old man was lying to him. So they went back together, and the man of God ate and drank at the prophet's home." 1 Kings 13:18-19

There are some passages in scripture that perplex me. I accept them as truth, and I know God's ways are right, but it doesn't mean that I don't struggle sometimes with how the situations play out. Like the seemingly extreme punishment Uzzah received when he reached out in reflex to steady the Ark of the Covenant when the oxen stumbled during transport. Or Moses, after all those years of wandering and leading the people, not entering the Promised Land. And now, here is a man of God, who after being deceived by an old man claiming to be a prophet, is attacked and killed by a lion. I fully understand the explanation of all three, but they are hard lessons.

In today's text the man of God has fulfilled his mission to declare a message to King Jeroboam and when an invitation is extended for him to come to the King's palace for a meal, he confidently declares: "Even if you gave me half of everything you own, I would not go with you. I would not eat or drink anything in this place. For the LORD gave me this command: 'You must not eat or drink anything while you are there, and do not return to Judah by the same way you came.'" The man of God had been warned by the Lord that any association with Jeroboam or activity of fellowship in that place would be an act of condoning the King's idolatry.

Now comes the hard part. An old man, claiming to be a prophet, extends a similar invitation to the man of God, with a powerful disclaimer. He basically takes God's name in vain as he gives God claim to a word He never declared. This is where the story gets tricky. How would we respond in a similar situation? 

God speaks a direct word to us through scripture, or another avenue of delivery, and we know without a doubt what He desires of us. Then, someone comes with contradicting direction and attaches God's name to their message. Now what? For the sake of this illustration, like the prophet and the man of God, we will assume both parties are Christ-followers. How do we move forward with assurance when opposite ways are before us?

I remember when facing my first cancer journey and still in the middle of tests and appointments, two very dear ladies from the church came to me one Sunday evening as I was entering the building. Both of these women are so dear to me and I know them to be women of great faith. With conviction they shared with me that they had been praying, and they knew the Lord had told them that my health struggle would not end with a cancer diagnosis. I was hesitant. I did not embrace their word as God's word to me. You see, the Lord had already been speaking to my heart also and I was pretty certain they were incorrect. I know God can use other people to minister to us and give insight and clarity, but a voice of truth will be in agreement to what He has already spoken. Unlike the prophet who purposefully spoke a false word, I believe these ladies were sincere, but they were sincerely wrong. 

The prophet was trying to convince the man of God to disobedience. By identifying himself as a prophet, his title added an element of trust. Sadly, the man of God relents without any further seeking of the Lord. When we receive a first-hand command from God, I believe any subsequent changes will also come directly.

God will not tolerate compromise and disobedience among His children. How we constantly need to pray for discernment when faced with opposing views, especially within the body of believers. I'll be honest, I'm often leery of anyone who comes to me saying that God gave them a message for me. I'm not saying I don't listen to it, but I certainly don't instantly embrace it. I follow any such declaration up with prayer and time in God's Word. I fully believe that the Lord Himself will speak to me and confirm personally His desire for my life.

Dear Lord, please grant us clarity in the face of conflicting direction. May we always listen and obey the voice of Truth.

post signature

No comments: